Thursday, October 18, 2012

Song of the Day: Blonde Redhead - Here Sometimes



If I had a 'missed connections' list with various "eras, albums or songs" from artists that I loved; it'd be a really jumbo huge list. One of the most recent came in the form of Blonde Redhead's post-Misery Is A Butterfly material. It's not that I hated 23 or Penny Sparkle, it's just I was content enough being mesmerized by the their noisy art rock style and the later refining and expanding of their signature sound in the trilogy of Guy Picciotto-produced albums. But with a greater examination I came to see that their last two efforts were good ol' Blonde Redhead in a fresh new package. 'Here Sometimes' serves not only to show Kazu's new confident vocal delivery, but the incorporation of layering organic and electronic textures in ways that have only been hinted at in earlier releases. This and more (the goddamn bass and moog synth creeping in!) results in a smart slice of surreal pop that reveals itself seductively to the listener, something I'm more than happy to oblige to.

No comments:

Post a Comment