Monday, November 7, 2011

Album Review: Matana Roberts - Coin Coin Chapter One:Gens de Couleur Libres

I just started listening to this album and already I think it can possibly be my album of the year. Matana Roberts a native of New York City and a nominee of  The Jazz Journalists Association's 2008 "Up and Coming Musician of the Year" award, shows the perspective of African women being tamed, raped and stripped of their rights during the years of slavery. It covers such topics with the most emotion I have ever seen from any artist.  The greatest part of this album is the great spoken word pieces in-between the chaotic sounds. The poetry is maybe the most sincere and emotional recital I have ever heard and I am very glad I found this album through the massive collection of albums I have never heard on my computer. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS ONE.

No comments:

Post a Comment