Friday, April 27, 2012

Song of the Day: James Blake - Once We All Agree

I really enjoy the sound of a piano, but don’t confuse the typical sound of a piano with the sound of a piano that I’m referring to. I enjoy a very melancholy, slightly reverberated, and filled with ‘dark’ sounding chords sort of piano; something that I try my best to emulate with my shitty Casio keyboard that leads to poor results and terrible dynamics. Fortunately, James Blake’s ‘Once We All Agree’ from 2011’s Enough Thunder really feeds my sweet tooth for this particular delicacy of sound.

But I wouldn’t simply call this a typical melancholy piano ballad by any means, in fact James Blake employs his masterful, ahem, ‘post-dubstep’ sound to the track by adding whirring low bass tones and a haunting sound that I can only describe as the owl that follows you in your bleakest noir-esque dreams. It’s not all dark black melancholy though, as James Blake’s sweet vocals add a glimmer to the tonal sadness and ultimately allow the track to achieve a heart-aching success.



Couldn't find the studio version, sorry!

No comments:

Post a Comment