Friday, August 31, 2012

Pedal passion

Recently I was very lucky to obtain three new pedals for my extremely low budget pedalboard, if you can even call it that. I initially started out with a used chorus pedal around 2007 because I liked Andy Summers' (of The Police) tone and wanted to play along with some songs. I eventually came to realize that while that was all good and fun, it wasn't really an effect that I utilize much and still don't to this day.

Eventually I settled for a cheap Boss ME-20 multi-effect pedal since I was pretty low on cash and didn't have any clue what craigslist was. The most influential factor though probably came from borrowing my friend's unused digitech multi pedal. It was a pain switching between effects cause it only changed through numbered presets. It did go to 99 though, but switching between 1 to 34 with only a few seconds between song transitions was a bit of a pain.

Anywho it appears that it has taken me the better of five years to finally obtain an addition in the form of a Boss DD-3 delay earlier this year. It was an essential purchase as it finally gave me some freedom in terms of delay shaping. So now finally I was able to make a major revision to the amount of pedals at my disposal!

Here is my newly acquired amount of pedals:



I've already used the RV-5 extensively for a little secret project. The RV-5 reverb is extremely versatile compared to the limited options on the ME-20 and I really enjoy the ethereal sounds from the modulate setting. The TU-2 is mainly going to be used for it's daisy chaining option but it's good to have such a standard pedal handy. The RAT by far is the pedal I will need to experiment with the most as it is a very versatile distortion that can really go into mega fuzz territory or be a nice noisy overdrive.

It also helped that I was able to snatch the pedals all for under $200 considering one of them costs that much new. The guy who sold me the RV-5 and TU-2 was a really cool guy and had his own in-home studio with a shit ton of great equipment (grand piano, tons of pedals, sweet guitars, keyboards upon keyboards, antique organs, etc). Apparently he also sold a microphone to the The Mars Volta's touring bassist, Silver Lake is a sweet area.



The only thing I am aching to get now is a Electro-Harmonix POG, which is a super awesome polyphonic octave pedal. I've been skimming craigslist for days looking for something but it's always tough to throw down more than $100 for something used, not including gas usage. Either way, this has been a great week for gear additions and it'll definitely help in coming up with new sounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment