Thursday, August 30, 2012

Song of the Day: Xiu Xiu - The Pineapple Vs. the Watermelon

My first introduction to Xiu Xiu was through their second album and very scary(or sad. In reality I have no clue what emotion you can place on it. Listen to the opening track, "Sad Pony Guerrilla Girl" to understand what I mean) album "A Promise". After a few listens I fell in love with Jamie Stewart's songwriting and absolutely crazy range. He could go from a seeming whisper kind of singing into an intense scream. Unfortunately for about a year Xiu Xiu remained hidden in my large library of music until I eventually had the urge to listen to more of the project which lead me to find the absolutely amazing "The Air Force".

The whole album is filled with self-deprecating lyrics, crazy synth sounds and extremely catchy sad tones. Tthe entirety of The Air Force (to me anyways) has no bad song, but if I was to chose my favorite it has to be "The Pineapple Vs. the Watermelon."

Right when the song starts you get drawn in with this very smooth bass, soft guitar arpeggios and a constant bass drum kicks. When Jamie Stewart starts "whisper singing" you get this up close emotion that is unavoidable. The lyrics tell the tear jerking story of someone praying for the return of someone that has killed themselves and because of the minimal song structure you get hit with every single emotion.



Pretty sweet album cover right? Slowly truckin' along with The Pale King (you could check my progress on Goodreads), I should be done with it by the end of this week and hopefully be starting (when it actually arrives) the Marbles Swarm by Dennis Cooper (whom has a great blog that I have recently been posting on. He is such a very nice guy that will respond to your comments (no matter how asinine and poorly written they are)) or if that comes in too late White Teeth by Zadie Smith. She is widely known for being a funny and talented writer from Britain. For her extremely intellectual discussion about her book and literature in general with Michael Silverblatt (the world's greatest reader) from KCRW's Bookworm click here.

HAHAHA oh God, I was going through the labels and seen Harry Potter.
God help you Bridgette, God help you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment