Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Fall Mix #1: Before Leaves Sink

Sorry for the momentary silence, college has been increasing in demand of my and Starlon's time so we haven't really been able to post updates or new reviews. In fact I haven't really been able to sleep well since about a month ago, so I'm slowly trying to adjust everything to its correct flow in life. But who cares about that, let's get to the point of this post. Every month from until the end of this year I am going to post at least one self-made mix for our reader's ears. Ever since I really got into music in middle school I've always enjoyed making mixes for myself and friends; it's a great way to introduce people to music they may not have known about and it lends itself to a sort of thematic creation. Generally though it's just a really nostalgic past time for me as it lets me reminisce on particular experiences associated with certain tracks and new experiences associated with listening to it now in a new context. Blah, blah, blah.

Anyways, here's the track list, I'll do a micro review of each one for the sake of explanation! (Link to acquire is below the picture)

Before Leaves Sink


01. Sun Kil Moon - Bay Of Skulls (from Admiral Fell Promises)

One of Mark K's best late and current period songs, the sparse instrumentation and Kozelek's always sweet vocals create something that couldn't be replicated with an orchestra. The record itself came to me when the winter was the whitest and the mornings were coldest. Watch out for the beautiful classically influenced guitar parts.

02. The Teeth - Oh, Bessy (from Carry The Wood EP)

The Teeth always makes me sad, even in their upbeat songs their lyrics hit home a bit and remind me a lot of juvenile experiences. The instrumentation is very 1960's, a more sentimental Velvet Underground? Lovely underrated band that shouldn't have broken up after one album.

03. The Mabuhay Singers - Kapantay Ay Langit (from Pista)

Oh boy. This band is a popular singing group from the Philippines who sing a bunch of old standards. The only reason I even have the CD is because my friend Mark happened to have it playing in his car after his mother left it in the tray. Either way, it's nostalgic as hell, the cheesy arrangements, the vocals, the mood; all perfect for the coming cold days.

04. Sunset Rubdown - Shut Up I Am Dreaming of Places Where... (from Shut Up I Am Dreaming)

Back when Spencer Krug first got a band together for Sunset Rubdown the appeal was immediate, the dare I say mid-fi production, grand lyrics, magical prog instrumentation and nervous energy led to a unique sound that was Krug's own. This closing number encapsulates all that and blows it up right in your face -twice.

05. Animal Collective - Street Flash (from Water Curses EP)

There's a certain charm to this song with Avey Tare's childish and abrasive vocals, they sound a little sad. The guitar ust shifts in and out as rhythmic sound effects and a creepy screaming sample flood in. It's perfect. But when Avey starts screaming, I tear up, he's losing his sanity or something. I don't know what else to say, it's a sentimental song.

06. Plexi - Star Star (from Cheer Up)

Last year I went on a road trip with my friend Mark to Long Beach to visit another close friend. Since my hometown of Carson was on the way and I had to purchase a gift for my girlfriend's birthday, I stopped by an old plaza that I would frequent in my childhood. Most stores were gone and the bookstore I'd usually frequent was gone as well but was having a liquidation sale. I found this album there. A mix of noise and alternative rock, the album surprised me with this sweet string filled end. I always remember that whole adventure with this song.

07. Yoko Shimomura - Someone calls me... Someone looks for me... (from Parasite Eve OST)

When Parasite Eve came out and I was a easily scared child I would be freaked out by its chilly trailer that I'd see in my local EB Games (RIP). It would take me until winter 2010 to actually play the game when I borrowed it from Mark. The cold days spent playing the game were a nice cozy time, and the fact that the game is set during Christmas season just nailed this association into my head. This lovely little piece plays in one of the final secret boss battles, which I haven't got to yet. Maybe this year.

08. Scott Walker - On Your Own Again (from Scott 4)

"You're on your own again, and you're your best again. That's what you tell yourself. I see it all the way as far as anyone can see. Expect when it began I was so happy I didn't like me." The dread of the end of the year nearing in song.

09. Teenage Cool Kids - Beg to Differ (from Denton After Sunset)

This was one of my absolute favorite songs from last year and the record itself grew on me with repeated listens. The mood of the lyrics, the mood of the melody and instruments, it fits that early morning feeling of being somewhere you don't want to be. The chorus just lets it all out with a hailstorm of distortion and frustrations. My first semester of adjustment to college mornings/mourning(s).

10. Grizzly Bear - I Live With You (from Veckatimest)

"You brought us this far, we'll do what we can." An eerie and beautiful song that fits the falling of the leaves in autumn. As the approaching end of the year follows along it's hard for me not to adapt this twisted love song to the end of a year's worth of living. The song plays to the strengths of Grizzly Bear's ability to subtly build a song with many mismatching elements; a real underground powerhouse. 

11. Koko Komine - After the Red Poppy Journey (from Mobile Suit Victory Gundam: Score II)

Victory Gundam is by far the slowest and most depressing of the myriad of entries in the franchise to watch. It has a certain charm with its terrible early 90's animation style and the overly sentimental writing, not to mention the underlying themes of ecological preservation. It's a sad show and this song is sad too. But there is something about the flute and the strings, both hopeful of the new season that approaches.

12. Bottomless Pit - Pitch (from Congress EP)

Crushingly uplifting is how I'd describe this song from Bottomless Pit, an East Coast post-punk band that formed from the ashes of Silkworm. The song opens with a tired vocal delivery by Tim Midgett with slowly driving instrumentation until it explodes into "When you KNOOOOOW". It's heartbreaking really, he sounds strained in the higher registers but it makes all the difference as the band plays more intensely throughout the rest of the track until ending abruptly. It perfectly captures both the melancholy and hope for the ending seasons of the year and what is left to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment