Monday, September 19, 2011

Top 7 albums of 2011 (so far)


7. ORGE YOU ASSHOLE - homely

This is what many call the Japanese Modest Mouse, I honestly do not understand this label at-fucking-all. Whether or not that makes sense to you or not, this was one of my favorite things to listen to due to the chilled nature of the music and how effortlessly the band played their songs. Some of the best use of horns and saxophone I've heard on a rock record in a long time.


6. Dads - Brush Your Teeth, Again ;)

Lovely creative guitar lines and complex rhythms throughout. Some of the best homemade twinkly emo bullshit I've ever heard. Unexpected amounts of expertise and songwriting in such a independent bandcamp release. Highly recommended and respectable music.


5. My Little Underground - My Little Underground

An EP release that was a mix of the more danceable styles of post-punk and several nods to shoegaze bands like Ride. A very satisfying listen, in retrospect and even in a tinge of sadness I enjoyed this record more than The Horror's Skying. Goes to show that the sometimes the best music is hidden.


4. Joyce Manor - Joyce Manor

This fucking band. THIS FUCKING BAND. Straight from my hometown and area of my earliest childhood memories I cannot help but have an emotional attachment to this music. While it may be simply indie rock influence punk, it evokes memories of the gone by days of happiness, youth and sadness, all in one package. One of the strongest debuts I've ever heard, I only wish this band the best.


3. Radiohead - The King of Limbs

Yeah yeah yeah, I know a whole mess of fans were butthurt after this wasn't 'In Rainbows Part Two' which baffles me as many wanted the band to experiment and evolve their sound. Well here it is assholes. Even if I did overplay this record to death for myself it still holds a special place with me as the only record that I was legitimately excited for and was satisfied with. Whether it was the beauty of 'Bloom', the dark rhythms of 'Morning Mr Magpie' or the delightful 'Separator', this record fulfilled everything needed for an experimental and different Radiohead experience.


2. Iceage - New Brigade

This record not only revitalized my dying interest in post-punk but made me love noise rock even more. When I first heard descriptions of this album as 'dirty', 'grimy' and 'murky' I was excited and intrigued. Not many bands can truly pull off the fine line between noise indulgence and actual songs that stand. Iceage managed this effortlessly. Truly the coolest record I listened to so far this year and the record that made me rethink if bands like Interpol or The Horrors are even trying at making good post-punk.


1. Dirty Beaches - Badlands

The only release that made me long for something I've never experienced, a truly immense listening experience in only about half an hour. The lo-fi elements transport one to a long forgotten time of paranoia, sorrow and escape. With songs like 'True Blue' and "A Hundred Highways" I can only imagine what Dirty Beaches is capable of with a entire studio to use. Lovely music.

2 comments: